I want to try my hands on a little shooter on the Android platform, and I’m looking for a full-featured 3D game engine. I can’t afford to pay more than 400 € for a license, so expensive engines are excluded from the start.
These are my requirements:
- The engine has to have good level editor (able to place entities, actors and triggers); so “graphics engines” like Irrlicht and Horde 3D aren’t what I’m looking for.
- The engine should be based on OpenGL Core and use shaders rather than the fixed function pipeline.
- It shouldn’t use octrees and BSP/PVS.
- It needs to have decent occlusion culling because I need good frame rates on not-very-powerful graphics cards.
- It should come with source code.
I like Horde 3D very, very much and I like it’s smart design, rendering capabilities and compactness. Sadly, I can’t use it due to the lack of tools.
So far I’ve come across Torque 3D, C4 engine, Shiva 3D, and Unity 3D.
Torque 3D is really nice, decent design, has good tools, good performance, it’s really cheap and comes with source code. Sadly it’s only DirectX for now.
Unity has a lot of features, decent performance and tools, runs on Android but they don’t give source code within my price range.
C4 is good enough, has tools, and source code but there’s a catch. While you have source code the source isn’t ported to Android and the engine’s owner expressly forbids anyone to port source code on other platforms or to release a game on not officially supported platforms.
Shiva 3D seems nice, too, supports Android, has tools but they don’t give you source code license for a decent sum.
That’s all I could find. I used the list on devmaster.net, I searched this site, I’ve searched gamedev.net, gamasutra, polycount.com and of course Google and Bing.
Any suggestions that could help me?